Archive for category x64

Getting Windows 8 to work with Cisco VPN Client

I got stuck with Windows 8 pre-installed, lets just say I wont be buying from NewEgg anymore sadly.  Efforts to install Windows 7 even after negotiating UEFI failed, I believe that the BIOS has been specifically munged to thwart the 7 install. Asus simply says you cant go back.

So why I hate Windows 8 starts with the fact that I am a business/tech user, I don’t need to draw pictures for my mother or swipey swipey with my finger.  I need VPN’s to work and ASDM software to work.

Tip #1:  How to get Cisco VPN Client to work with Windows 8
Open Registry editor by typing regedit in CMD prompt
Browse to the Registry Key  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA
Select the DisplayName to modify, and delete the leading characters in front of “Cisco”

For x64, change the value data from something like “@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to “Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”


, , , , ,


Cisco VPN X64 support…. or not.

Okay, if you read this it says that x64 support for Windows 7 and Vista is finally here.  It’s just that it also says that 64 bit isn’t supported.


, , ,

No Comments

x64 Sagas, SLO (Silly Little Obsolescence)

In the Silly Little Obsolescence department: I did not really expect to have to deal with such a trivial thing that ain’t so trivial.  I have to trash my Canon n650U Canoscan flatbed scanner because there are no x64 drivers for it.  It sits on the other side of USB, and the width of the native driver is an issue.

Normally I deal with a little extra effort when trying something like x64 but this is just silly, I would more fully expect my video card to have hemroids than to throw away the scanner that I only use once a month.

Just to be sure I called Canon, they waived the $9 fee to tell me I was SOL.



1 Comment

x64 Sagas: Trashed DNS and Active Directory

Just recovered an Active Directory domain that was hurting (busy weekend) . DNS was not pushing correctly between servers, AD replications stopped and Exchange went offline except for OWA access.

Problem was traced to a probably corrupted DNS cache file on the Exchange server, demoting and re-promoting the server did not help. Users were getting immediate rejections from the Exchange server as offline and attempts to create new email accounts would fail as being not reachable. When substituting a domain controller’s name for the exchange server entry in Create Account, the process would get further: the server would be replaced with the underlined (real) name of the Exchange server and the username would verify as underlined, and then fail for lack of connectivity, pretty clear proof that it was a DNS issue.

On top of that DNSMGR was acting funny and stopping netlogon and running netdiag /fix was not backfilling the zone correctly.

Bottom line was we changed the DNS instance to Slave and changed the other DC to allow transfers and forced a transfer of zones (deleted all cache files we could find first). We then reintegrated DNS with AD and tested. Email started flowing and the Exchange server once again knew his own name.

Why is this an x64 Saga? The Exchange server was 2007 which only runs on x64 and the <skepticism> only </skepticism> event that we can find is that the x32 AD utilities may have been run against the x64 install which is supposed to be bad. I am not going to put the customer through proving it by testing that theory in detail, one remaining issue is the dnsmgr app remains broken, we have to use the DNS snapin for MMC to see the zones.


, , , , , , , , ,

No Comments

x64 Sagas – AVR Development and Programming

I just assembled the Ladyada Tiny ISP for AVR Atmel microcontrollers,  Easy to build, had my 10 year old son help with the soldering, only one burn to show for it.

You have to use a USBTiny with it and a COM bridge that simulates a null modem between two virtual com ports and have it emulate a null modem connection: Ladyada’s page did a reasonable job of leading through that: as an STK500 emulation.

Vista x64 requires digitally signed drivers and prior to SP1 you could disable this with the command

bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

This would appear to not work after SP1, I use the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider (DSEO) available at Essentially you put the system into Test Mode and create a test signature for the driver. I now run with the text “Test Mode” in the corners of all four of my monitors.

Also ran into problems getting WinAVR to run correctly under Vista x64. Basically you need a new msys-1.0.dll and also I recommend not using the standard installation process as the special charcters “()” in the path Program Files (x86) cause conniptions with parts of the WinAVR app and compliation process. Thanks to MadWizard at